1. You’ll want to prepare yourself by making some decisions before meeting with any landscape professionals in terms of your goals for the space and your budget. It is very easy to get caught up in the amazing ideas that can come in discussions with a professional landscape team. By having your goals and budget decided, it will be easier to stay on track and make better decisions.
2. You will also want to be sure to ask each landscape professional a lot of questions to qualify them. First and foremost, be sure that they are fully insured* and that they are certified in their field of expertise. Certifications usually require ongoing education to maintain so you will know they are up to date on the best methods and latest skills.
The decision to hire a CCLA member is one of the smartest investments you’ll make toward enhancing your residential or commercial landscape. CCLA member firms take pride in their work and uphold the highest standards in horticulture, agriculture and landscape business and environmental practices. Members are licensed, certified, insured and continue to advance their knowledge as technology, research and practices develop. Visit our Member Directory now!
WHAT QUESTIONS TO ASK
General Business Questions:
- How long have you been in business?
- Does your company have Workers Compensation and Liability Insurance? Will you provide me a certificate?
- Are you a full service company or do you specialize?
- What percentage of your business is repeat or referral?
- Do any of your employees hold current certifications and which ones? How many employees hold certifications?
- Will you provide me with references?
Landscape Construction Questions:
- What is your approach to a project of this scope? Will you sub-contract any aspects? How many crews?
- What is the time frame to start and complete the project?
- How do you manage billing of the project?
- Do we need a permit for this project?
- Do you have design services available?
- How many projects like mine have you completed in the last 18 months?
Landscape Maintenance Questions:
- What type of equipment do you use?
- How are your crews arranged? One man, two man, three man?
- Does the same crew do everything or do they specialize>
- How frequently do they service the property?
- What aspects of the service does your company handle in house and what aspects are sub contracted out?
- How do I handle questions, small projects or concerns?